Thursday, August 11, 2011

King Lear is a lot more depressing than I thought.


If any of you have been with me since my last BEDA experience in April, you might remember that I was Regan in a scene of King Lear for a drama competition in which we got sixth place.  I know that King Lear is a tragedy, I've always known that, but it didn't really sink in how...sad the ending is until I finished reading it.

I suppose that might be because I and my friends also in the scene spent most rehearsals goofing off-- like that one time each of our characters had a little quirk!  I think my favorite was the Sassy Gay Lear, valley girl Goneril, bipolar Regan, and...ooh, I can't remember Cordelia's quirk!  It'll come to me.  Anyway, I had so much fun working on the scene that I didn't realize it's actually quite sad!

I mean, this man has lost everything.  Two of his daughters betrayed him and left him in the rain-- literally-- and he abandoned his third.  Then, when she comes back to him to help him, she's hanged before he can apologize or she can forgive him, and he is completely distraught.

"Why should a dog, a horse, a rat, have life
And thou no breath at all?"

That line really got me when I was reading.  It's one we cut out from our scene, but it's so good.  I kind of wish we kept it in.

Also, I've been on the computer for almost 3 hours already, so I'm not doing a very good job at this whole focus-and-get-your-homework-done thing.  I need to focus or I'm really going to regret it next week!

Books read: 14
Disneyland trips: 11
Current song: Breakaway - Kelly Clarkson

No comments:

Post a Comment