Monday, April 23, 2012

Last show of the year

I am currently sitting in my AP Literature class, listening to the prosecution and defense groups for the Hamlet trial we're doing discuss things.  This is one of those times that I'm glad I'm the judge.  I get to sit here on my laptop, listening to them, but also type up a much-needed blog post.

The Diviners opened this weekend.  This is my last show in high school and gosh, it's so much fun!  If you don't know what The Diviners is about, you can click here to read a brief description.  But it has been so much fun.  The cast is amazing and we're always goofing off backstage.  This might be the most fun I've had doing a show, except possibly Night of the Living Dead because, come on, it's pretty tough to beat zombies and fake blood!

During the last month and a few weeks that we've been working on this show, I feel like I've grown so much, both as a person, and in my acting ability.  This director is amazing and he's helped me so much along the way. I have a few "romantic" scenes with my friend Mat, and I was having major troubles acting that well, so there was one point where he kept the two of us onstage and we talked it out.  We talked about why I was having trouble with it, what I can do to make it better, what he can do to make it easier on me.  I swear we were just sitting there for about a half an hour.  Once we got that over with, everyone was already halfway finished with their lunch!  But it helped because I was so much better after that.

And now that we've opened and done four shows, I just love it even more.  My other director came to see the show last night with his family.  I like it when people tell me that I did really well.  Both of my directors have told me that I'm doing a really good job, and that just makes me feel really good about myself.  Mama B told me that I was very believable at pretending to be attracted to Mat!  Hah, she even said that I did a better job at that than Nicole did in Once On This Island.  Emma told me that my screams at the end gave her chills.  Jess told me that her sister started crying because of my screaming.  It's just, things like that make me feel very accomplished.  Last night when I was screaming and crying at the end of the show, after the blackout and when we were just standing there, I felt like I was still crying.  I was breathing heavily and blinking away tears and shaking.  I think that was my best performance so far.

I really can't wait for Wednesday when we get back to performing!  I really hope my director's family comes again, because I really love them.  Except I will probably be pretty sad on closing night with senior circle and everything.  But I'm not going to think about that right now!  I'm just going to enjoy these last few high school performance and give my all.

No comments:

Post a Comment