Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The Hunger Games

I love The Hunger Games.  I've only read the books once, about two years ago, but I own them all.  I was camping out to see the midnight premiere of the film (my picture is on the Krikorian theater Facebook page!) and I've seen it twice so far.  This is my review/how I liked it/comparison to the book post.  So yes, there are spoilers in this!  You have been warned...

I'll start with things I liked about the movie.  I liked how they made it easier to understand for people who haven't read the books.  I mean, yes they should have read the books, but I do know some people who are going to read them because they liked the movie so much!  But I liked how they started the film with the decree about the Hunger Games, and I liked how they showed the video from the Capitol at the reaping and I liked how they had the commentary and showed the gamemakers throughout the games.  I also liked how they showed reactions from the people in their districts (IE: District 12, the riot in District 11, etc.)  I love how what Katniss and Rue say at Rue's death is exactly the same as what's in the book.  "Did you blow up the food?" "Every bit of it."  "You have to win, Katniss."

I really liked Seneca Crane's death.  In the books, it's only implied that he died because he screwed up the games, and they just got a new gamemaker for the next Games.  But I loved how they locked him in the room with a bowl of nightlock.  It really shows how powerful and controlling the Capitol is.  Caesar Flickerman was amazing.  I could not stop laughing.  I also liked when they showed President Snow and Seneca Crane in the rose garden.  It was interesting, and it's already setting up Snow as the antagonist, even though we don't find out too much about him in the first book.

AND THE MUSIC.  Oh my goodness the music is amazing.  I am obsessed with the soundtrack.  Not the soundtrack with the popular songs, but the original motion picture score composed by James Newton Howard.  Wow, it is amazing.  I think my favorite song is "The Countdown".  You should listen to it, it's epic.

Now for the things I didn't like.  I didn't really like the way the rose garden looked.  It was really big and outdoors.  It's just not how I pictured it.  How is that supposed to be a prison cell for Snow later on?  When I read about it in Mockingjay I pictured it as an indoor room, kind of like an indoor greenhouse.  If that makes sense.

I hated how they changed the words of the song that Katniss sings for Rue.  Or, I don't remember if they changed the words, but they at least left out the ending, which was my favorite part: "Here is the place where I love you".  I was so looking forward to hearing her sing that line to Rue and it didn't happen and I was so disappointed!  And they didn't really develop their [Katniss and Rue's] relationship enough, so if you hadn't read the book, you might not get why Katniss was so distraught over Rue's death.  There also wasn't the bread from District 11.  That bothered me.  At the beginning of the film (sorry, I'm kind of jumping around), I didn't like how Katniss got the Mockingjay pin from the Hob.  Madge does not exist in THG film universe.

When they announced that both tributes from the same district could live, Katniss was supposed to shout Peeta's name.  Instead she just whispered it.  Peeta's rock disguise was also weird.  Where did he get the resources to look that much like a rock?  When I read the book, I imagined him at kind of a muddy bank of the river where there was a little water flowing so he could still get some water, and he just smeared mud all over him to blend in.  That would make more sense, right?  Also, Peeta's leg injury was not as bad as it should have been.  He got to keep his leg.  That's not right.  Unpopular opinion: I didn't like Peeta.  I liked him in the books.  I don't know if it was Josh Hutcherson, or the way the character was written, but I just didn't like Peeta.  I found him annoying.

Finally, Katniss and Gale's friendship was too friendly.  In the books, their friendship is described as a mutual respect for each other.  The most "friendly" thing they have is Gale calling her Catnip.  In the books, their relationship is more like, "We hunt together and we help each other feed our families and I respect you and I'll let you call me Catnip because well I'm used to it now. I'm going to the Hunger Games and you know that I probably won't come back so please take care of my family."  Whereas in the films it's like, "Oh ha ha Gale's trying to be funny by scaring away my deer but it's cool because he throws a rock to help me get a few birds. Oh we're going to share food it's so sweet.  Oh I'm going to the Hunger Games but Gale thinks I'm definitely going to win, well, just take care of Prim while I'm gone be back soon TTYL."  Okay maybe that was exaggerated a bit, but still.  MUTUAL RESPECT.  That's it.

Anyway, it might not seem like it but overall I really enjoyed the film.  It was really good for an adaptation of a book.  Much better than any of the Harry Potter films, at least.  Now I'm really excited for Catching Fire, because I think it was my favorite book in the series, if only because it's when we meet a bunch of amazing characters.  I'm so excited to find out the casting of the past Victors from other Districts!  Like Finnick, Beetee, Johanna, Mags, Wiress...

I hope this post was substantial and makes up for my past ones this month!

No comments:

Post a Comment