Tuesday, April 10, 2012

In which I rant about Buffy the Vampire Slayer

I'm not going to apologize for missing yesterday, I'm not going to try to come up with an excuse other than "I forgot", and I'm not going to apologize for being late again today (or yesterday, but I'm still awake, so today).  But I am in an emotional state right now and it's because I finished watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Okay, go ahead, laugh all you want, but that show is amazing.  Like, a few months ago, I was asking some people what tv shows I should watch on Netflix and some that I already knew were good were Firefly, Sherlock, and Buffy, and some people literally said, "Watch Buffy.  It's life changing."  I honestly didn't believe them until I actually started watching the show.  I swear, it's as life changing as a television series could possibly be.  It's an amazingly well-written show.  The premise is great, the characters are real, and you can't help but fall in love with each and every one of them.  Even the characters that I didn't like, I liked.  Except for Warren*.  That guy was just a dick.

But I just finished the final episode of season 7 and I spent the last twenty minutes of it sobbing.  This is where I will talk about my thoughts of the episode.  Warning: spoilers ahead!  If you're like me and are late to watch Buffy and don't want to be spoiled, stop reading, or just skip the next paragraph (I promise to keep it all in one paragraph, however long it may be).  If you've already watched Buffy, or you just don't care (which, you should, but I can't control what you do), then read on.

This is probably going to be a jumble of thoughts in no particular order except for when they come to me.  Hooray for stream of consciousness!  Oh my god when Andrew and Anya were robbing the hospital and Andrew was saying that she was going to live and he was going to die, that was so heartbreaking because Anya dies saving him.  It was horrible how Xander was calling for Anya and the camera panned to show her lifeless body on the floor and he couldn't even see her.  And then when Andrew said, "Why aren't I dead?"  That broke my heart all over again.  Spike...I don't even want to talk about Spike.  But when the Welcome to Sunnydale sign fell over, I cried harder because I thought of a post on Tumblr that said something like, "Whenever the Sunnydale sign falls over, you know it's Spike's fault."  Damn.  Oh, god, and Willow.  "You're a goddess."  Willow is like, my all-time favorite fictional character ever.  To overcome that darkness just a year before and become something so pure when attempting even more difficult magic is an amazing feat.  And my last thought is that I liked how Faith was part of that sort of "final group" at the end.  I mean, there were the potentials/new slayers nearer to the bus, but then there was the group away from the bus.  Buffy, Willow, Xander, Giles, Dawn...and Faith.  I really liked that she was included in that.  It's like...sure, she was bad, but she just helped save the damn world.  She was one of the people who had known the Scooby gang the longest.  Hell, she was there before Dawn, but there's the whole fake memories of Dawn thing.  It's just...it kind of shows that she was accepted and she's part of the group again after going bad.  She's redeemed herself, she's a leader, and she saved the world.  I like Faith if you hadn't guessed that by now.

Anyway, done ranting about Buffy now.  I'm still hyped up on emotion from that.  My face still has tear stains.  I've decided that I want a break from the Buffy universe, so I won't watch Angel yet, but I don't want a break from Joss Whedon because although he is an evil bastard, he is a freaking genius.  So I've decided that I'm going to watch Dollhouse.  And because Eliza Dushku is hot, but that's beside the point.

Wish me luck in recovering from my post-Buffy depression.

*Warren, if you don't watch Buffy, killed one of my favorite characters.  He deserved what he got.

No comments:

Post a Comment